It is the holiday season and what better way to celebrate the season with your friends and family over for lots of festivities (and food!). We are happy to present to you this holiday cookie recipe for you to try.
Chocolate Chip Walnut Oatmeal Cookies
- ½ lb. margarine (or 2 cubes) [set aside margarine for an hour or two to get to room temperature]
- 2 c. light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 c. all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking SODA
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 cup. quick cooking rolled oats
- 2 packages (10 oz.) chocolate chips (Guittard brand is recommended for this recipe)
- Parchment paper to line cookie sheet
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toast chopped walnuts in oven for 5-10 minutes at 350 degrees and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, beat margarine and brown sugar until smooth and well-blended.
- Add in eggs and vanilla. Beat until well-blended.
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a small bowl or piece of waxed paper. Blend dry ingredients into margarine mixture with a wooden spoon until well-combined.
- Add oats, chocolate chips and nuts, stir until evenly blended.
- Place heaping teaspoon 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper [parchment paper prevents the cookie from burning underneath]
- Slightly mash each cookie with a wet fork
- Bake for 17-20 minutes until golden brown.
- OTHER VARIATIONS: Try using almonds or macadamia nuts instead of walnuts. You can also use white chocolate chips instead of milk chocolate chips for a different flavor.
This post is brought to you by the good folks at Dale Carnegie Training of Central & Southern New Jersey. We would love to connect with you on Facebook and Twitter.