The song Smile was first recorded in 1936 as the theme in Charlie Chaplin’s last silent movie but words were never added until 1954 when the new lyrics gave Nat King Cole a huge hit. It was Michael Jackson’s favorite song of all time. That says a lot. There is a saying that goes like this: “A smile is a language even a baby understands.” How powerful is that? In Dale Carnegie’s book, How to Win Friends and Influence People, a smile is considered a key aspect of success. Mr. Carnegie knew a smile well; coupled with a handshake, it makes business more successful.
There are simply not enough smiles in the world. It is the smile that gives an individual both a professional and a personal advantage. Smiles are very powerful in selling as well. A simple smile combined with an assumptive close will often make customers choose what they want and need.
A smile is a simple, yet genuine act. Some days it can be a rare sighting indeed. When someone smiles your way, in any situation, it just makes you feel good.
Here are the five words in a smile.
- Sincerity: At the base of every real smile is honesty and sincerity. You can tell a fake smile from another room.
- Motivation: Work should be considered fun and a smile should be the focus. Work gets done when there is a smile on your face.
- Interest: It is always about the other person that brings that special smile out. Not only is it attractive, it just makes relationships better.
- Likability: People we know with great smiles are naturally liked more quickly than the people who scowl day in and day out. You just have to like people who smile.
- Enthusiasm: There is nothing more engaging in the workplace than teams that enjoy what they do. There is energy and excitement that combines with a smile and it makes getting things done a lot easier!
This time of year, it should be pretty easy to give away some smiles. Remember, smiles are free! Make the smile the gift of choice in New Jersey this Holiday Season.
This post is shared with you by the good folks at Dale Carnegie Training of Central & Southern New Jersey. We would love to connect with you on Facebook.