When things are going wrong, it can be hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Spending time in negativity central can really put a damper on how you live your life. Sometimes, that can be hard to avoid when faced with trials. Dale Carnegie said it best: “one of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living.” Staying positive in the face of negativity is the ultimate character trait; here’s a cheat sheet.
1) First, take some time to figure out why things are so bad. Is it something that you can control? Is it something that you actually care about? Typically, when things are going bad in someone’s life, it is outside of what they truly care about and can change it! Get to know yourself with inner reflection and set a path with reachable goals for yourself. When you set benchmarks that you can reach, you will have something to look forward to and will ensure you happiness.
2) Look around and appreciate what you see whether it is in yourself or in your environment. Find something positive in yourself as well as your environment. Do you have great eyes, hair, skin, etc.? Do you live in a nice neighborhood, have a great house, a great dog, etc.? Find things that appeal to you and that you can hold near. Focus on these things when times get tough and re-center you in the positive.
3) If you see something around you that instills feelings of jealously, figure out what about the object makes you feel that way. Remember, it’s all how you perceive it! If people seem happy, that’s because they are and have made their lives to reflect those perceptions! Mimic those actions or, if possible, the objects that you are jealous of.
4) Next, get motivated to make changes in your life. Find a hobby to bring a fresh responsibility to your life and to bring you happiness. Motivate yourself by making time to reminisce on those things that make you feel better. Do you have any memories that bring a smile to your face? Try to have a picture of those special moments handy to bring an instance smile to your face.
5) Lastly, always remember that in the end, it won’t be bad. So, if it’s bad it isn’t the end! All things will cycle through and eventually your bad times, or bad luck will pass. Keep positive thoughts following and be happy with yourself. Being happy with yourself is the ultimate key to a happy life.
This post is brought to you by the good folks at Dale Carnegie Training of Central & Southern New Jersey. We would love to connect with you on Facebook and Twitter @CarnegieJersey.